Thursday, February 11, 2010

out of the blue

It's funny when it hits. The sadness. The tears. The overwhelming grief for my mother. This afternoon it found me. It came in the form of Valentine's Day cards for my sons. The handwriting was oh-so-familiar. How could it be? But it wasn't. It was cards from my aunt, who I dearly love and is the closest thing to a grandmother my boys have. But there it was. The pain and the realization that she is forever gone from here and I couldn't stop crying. I miss her so much. I miss her voice, her smile, her laughter. I miss her hands. She was nurse and she *knew* how to comfort with those hands. So many nights, when I was in physical pain from knots in my shoulders, she'd sit there and rub them out. She was the first to grab hand and give it a pat or a squeeze. I just really miss my mother. I know it seems odd that Valentine's Day, weekend, is when the grief finds me. But it is a day to remember those you love and who loved you. No one ever loved me like my mother did.
I love you, Mama, and I miss you terribly.

No comments:

Post a Comment




  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP