Saturday, February 20, 2010

i have a new obsession

If you know me, you know I have a decent creative streak and that I love making things. Yes, indeedy, I love doing crafts. I painted pictures for W's nursery and got brave and painted a sweet mural for G's nursery. I made the cornice boxes and the window treatments in my dining room and I've been making hand sewn cutesie onesies and shirts for a while now. But the one thing I have never known how to do is machine sew and there are sooo many cute outfits I'd love to make only if I knew how to sew.

The funny thing is that I have an awesome sewing machine, but it is so awesome it almost intimidated me. It stayed in its case for almost a year and half taunting me whenever I'd pass by it. "I'mmm here, sewing moron." "Hey, you, ever gonna use me?"

Well, this week, I handed that sewing machine a big glass of Shut Up juice. I learned how to sew! Okay, just boys pants. But, I did it. My good friend came over and taught me some of the basics to my sewing machine and taught me how to make these really cute pants/shorts/capris for the boys. By the way, my cousin's husband has forbidden me to put my boys in "capris". He suggested that I call them "knickers" since that's what boys wear, but "knickers" remind me of Oliver Twist (lol!) so I guess I'll keep working on finding some other term that is more acceptable.

But the best thing of all is that I felt something I hadn't really felt in a while...excitement! Yes, I get excited for things with the kids, but personally, I just hadn't had much drive to do anything beyond my family and kids. That kind of died with me when my mother passed; however, here it is, this excitement. And for the 1st time in a while, I tasted the sweet taste of personal satisfaction, of looking at something I created and saying "I love it!"

So what's next? I registered for a Beginner's sewing class and the Intermediate sewing class and I can't wait! I'm hoping to funnel this enjoyment into a little etsy store so I can make a little money, but I'm Type A on some things and won't do it until I feel I have the basics covered. Below are some of the thing I've been knocking out this week while the boys nap or when they've gone to bed.


Octopus set - shirt and capris (clam diggers? board shorts?) for W


Octopus shirt close-up


Shorts and pants for W. The shirt is in process. I'm thinking a sail boat for Spring.


Dinosaur shirt and pants set for baby G


Close-up of Dino shirt


My little model


Truck shirt and clam diggers for baby G



Ok, I also made a new flat sheet for W's toddler bed. He's a Cars fanatic but we only had a fitted sheet to go on his bed, and since we are Type A *cough, anal, cough* people, it kinda drove S and I both batty so I had to make him a top sheet.




No comments:

Post a Comment




  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP