Friday, February 19, 2010

i'll probably get in trouble for posting this, but sometimes you just gotta let it out

My dad has a girlfriend, although he introduces her as his "friend", but according to my sister, she's his girlfriend. The holding hands kind of girlfriend. (I'm not willing to mentally go any farther than that right now.) My dad is with her every day he's not in dialysis (3 days a week). Oh, here's the real kicker. She has the same name as my mom. *thud* So, yes, that really weirds me out. She doesn't look like my mama, but it is...odd? disturbing?

I know he is lonely and needs, rather deserves, companionship. I don't begrudge him that but it's kind of hard to take. Part of me wants to cry out "My mother be gone only 7 months. Why can't you wait at least a year before you start seeing someone else?" Part of me wants to avoid it. And another part of me is just plain angry about the entire situation as in "Why did my mother have to die?". I wasn't mentally prepared for this reality.

Our relationship isn't exactly close, and where the death of S's mother seems to draw his relationship with his dad closer, I don't know if that's exactly the same case here. And, that really stings. I'd love to be able to talk to him about my mother and what I'm going through and what he's going through, but he closes up when I mention her. Maybe, it's too hard for him, but maybe, it's what I need. So what do you do? I guess, we're at a cross-roads.


1 comment:

  1. It is so hard . . .I remember it like it was yesterday and it was 35 years ago when my dad (who is not living any longer) starting dating after my mom died. It is not easy. My dad did sit me down (I was 15!!) and told me that he did indeed need friends and companionship. I can remember screaming at him . . .I'll be praying for you to find peace. If you ever need to talk,I'll listen :-)

    ReplyDelete




  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP