Wednesday, August 11, 2010

San Antonio Vacation: Yee Haw!


When I originally told my father that we were going to fly out to San Antonio for vacation, his response was "Oh no." When I said S was flying out the day before and it would just be me and the boys flying out the following day, his response was "Oh God." LOL! You would have thought I has told him that one of us had cancer. Now, I know that trekking out with 2 small children wouldn't appeal to an older person, but after staying at home for a year, I was ready to do whatever it took to go somewhere, even if it meant I had a day of Hell in order to get there. Ha!

I did a little research prior to our flight on how to keep the kids happy and off we went. The boys did much better than I had ever expected. Really, the worst part was lugging 2 car seats, 2 suitcases, 1 back back for mama, and a lightweight stroller by myself into and out of an airport. Once it was checked in, we were all copasetic.

The key to keeping W happy was bringing his pack back filled with beloved items and packing a few new (little) presents. I had brought 2 new gift wrapped books and a little toy set that he had gotten for his birthday but hadn't been allowed to open. I also loaded a new Thomas the Tank Engine movie on the Ipod and he was set. The key to keeping little G happy was to ply him with snacks. On the first flight, he had a sucker, yogurt pretzels, fruit snack, airline pretzels, his sippy of water, and another lollipop. I was covered head to toe in sticky but we had made it through the flight with 2 quiet children.

Little G is my child even if he looks like his daddy. Look at him sticking his tongue out at me while waiting for flight #2.

W showing off his Toy Story book bag. He wanted to wear it every where!

We had a fantastic time in San Antonio! S was there for a conference so mama and her little ducklings headed out on our own during the mornings, nap in the afternoon and then go out with daddy in the evening. Since we arrived Tuesday afternoon and we were adjusting *cough, recuperating, cough*, we kept it easy that night and just went out to an authentic Tex-Mex restaurant - Pico De Gallo. They has a fantastic, but loud Mariachi band which little G loved, but scared the bejeezus out of my big boy. He sat in my lap, covering his ears with my hands and asked to go home. Once the band took a break, he was a happy boy and even told the waiter, "Tanks, tanks for making da noise!" Maybe he enjoyed the music a little? Ha!

On Wednesday and Thursday, we went to the San Antonio Children's Museum, ate in a Saloon and swam in the hotel pool. The children's museum wasn't as nice as McWane, but it gave us a place for the boys to run around and burn off some energy in a cool place, safe for kids. The Saloon was apart of the Texas Buckhorn Museum, a tourist trap, but it did give us a neat place to eat and people watch.
G climbing through a little house and playing peek-a-boo.

W having a good time playing with balls.

Mounted animals at the Saloon.

I'm a cowboy. YEE-HAW!

Why yes, that would be a grizzly bear and woolly mammoth behind us.

What would be San Antonio without the Riverwalk and The Alamo? San Antonio is beautiful city with a lot of history and culture plus great amusement parks like SeaWorld, Six Flags Fiesta and Schlitterbahn Water Park (in nearby New Braunfels). If you haven't been or haven't been recently, I would highly recommend it.
Beautiful.


Mama & her boys

Daddy and his boys


Look at those sweet pink cheeks.


Sweet, but hot little boy.


Another view of the Mission


So cool.

The west side of the Mission.


I love this tree.

We capped off the trip by going to Sea World and San Antonio Zoo. W was excited and then terrified of the Sea Lion Show. He's not a big noise kid and it got to him. Little G clapped and laughed through it all. Thankfully, by the time, we saw Shamu, W had calmed down and actually enjoyed seeing the show.

But all good things must come to an end and we were happy to come home on Sunday. We are ready to settle in fall and a new routine as the boys prepare to go to school part time in a couple of weeks. We are truly blessed .


No comments:

Post a Comment




  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP